3 Simple surefire tips for cooking great delicious Bollito Misto
Bollito Misto is one of the main and famous Piemonte recipe. Its ease and its delicious flavor are guaranteed if you follow three simple tips.
If you want to know more about Bollito Misto recipes and how to serve it in a delicious and perfect Piemonte style read my guide to Bollito Misto Recipes Guide. There you can even find all what you need to know to chose the right meat cuts, that is really important.
There are only three things you need to take care while cooking:
- Boiling water. Always, always, and always again, add meat only when the water boils. Because by putting the meat in already boiling water the outer walls of the pieces of meat cook quickly and allow to maintain inside all the flavor and nutrients. By placing the pieces of meat into cold water, however, the meat slowly releases its nutrients and tastes into the warming water. We have a saying in Piemonte to help to remember this simple rule, that translated sound like this:
If a good bollito you want to eat
in boiling water must be placed the meat.
If a meat broth delicious you need to prepare,
meats and vegetables a cold warming bath must share.
- The right order. Add meat cuts in the correct order. Every meat has different time of cooking, it’s important to consider it. You can chose between two solutions:
- put all at the same time and then remove one by one as they are cooked or
- adding one by one the cut meats considering their cooking time so they will be ready at the same time.
I strongly advice you to chose the #2. Adding each one in the right order avoid to place the meat in the oven to stay warm while waiting the serving time. In this operation meat miss its flavor and dry. Thus, you just need a bit of math skills, calculating the time when you have to add cut meats starting the count from when you want to serve your Bollito Misto. Before the longest time cooking then one by one the others, considering the time when you want to serve your Bollito Misto:
Head of veal: 3 hours
Plate/Flank cuts, tongue, Foreshank Boneless, tail: 2.30 hours
Capon, or hen or rooster or chicken: 1.15 hour
Cotechino: 1 hour
Let’s try to simulate as if we were in your kitchen. Let me suppose you want to serve at 7 pm:
- 3.30pm: you can place your pots with vegetables and aromas to boil
- 4.00pm: as soon as the water boil, add head of veal
- 4.30pm: add Plate/Flank cuts, tongue, tail and Foreshank Boneless
- 5.45pm: add the hen or the chicken
- 6.00pm: add the cotechino
Please note that this instructions are valid for all the Bollito Misto Recipes, of course for the Bollito Misto Basic Recipe you have just three meat cuts: head, shin and flank steak therefore you will use the first three steps.
- Vegetables. The delicious taste of Bollito Misto is due by combining the flavors of meat and vegetables and pot herbs. In Piemonte we do love to add many aromatic herbs to our dishes. This habit it is also healthy, as it permits to reduce salt and artificial aromas to recipes. Therefore never miss to put in your pot at least these ones:
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 bunch of parsley
Now that you know the secrets you can chose to cook the Basic or the Luxury recipe.
What is your favorite Bollito Misto Recipe?
Chose the Basic recipe if you are looking for something special to enrich your daily dinner:
Chose the Luxury recipe if you want to add a lot of (Northern) Italian Style and Gusto to your Holiday table: