An healthy salad recipe, fresh and delicious, rich in colors and nutrients. An easy dinner recipe. Save Spring Piemonte salad recipe with your healthy dinner ideas and your salad recipes.
It is a salad very rich. We do love to prepare raw food, and in Piemonte this is a very rich season. The landscapes are great, fulfilled with colors and scents. The vegetable gardens change their colors. Flowers and vegetables let you know that the spring is ready and the first thing to do is to grab it in your dish.
Healthy and Nutrient easy dinner idea
This is a complete meal. Very rich in vitamins and mineral, low in fat and carbohydrates. Proteins come from tuna, and if you need you can remove it without loosing any flavor.
The only difficult aspect of this recipe is to cut all the vegetables into thin slices. But in this way vegetables preserve their nutrients: many vitamins, as vitamin C, infact are volatile and there is a consistent loss in vegetables that has been sliced long time before their use.
Spring Piemonte Salad Recipe
- 9 oz tuna
- 5 fresh onions (I used cipollotti onions, but you can use fresh white onions, if they are too savory consider to soak them in acidulated water as for Salad of Leeks
- 1 large handful of valerian
- 10 radishes
- 1 bunch of arugula
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 celery heart
- 2 carrots
- 1 bunch of parsley
- 3 basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons olives (I used the Ligurian olives, but you can use what you prefer, black or green, hot or seasoned, sliced??, pitted or not, use your favorite olives!)
- 2 tablespoons capers in vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of mustard powder
- 1/2 glass of brandy (to taste)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Wash the vegetables
- Carrots: wash using a brush for vegetables
- Radishes: remove the green and the roots, then wash thoroughly
- Arugula, parsley and basil
- Bel Pepper: wash it, split it in half and remove the seeds, then pass again under water to remove the seeds remained inside
- Cipollotti onion: remove the green and the roots, then wash thoroughly
Slice the vegetables
- Bell Pepper
- Celery: remove the leaf then slice it
- Cipollotti onion: remove the first layer of onion then slice it
- Arugula: cut it in large pieces
- Parsley: separate the leaves from the stems of parsley
Compose the salad
- Add the tuna
- Bell Pepper
- Parsley and basil: coarsely cut it with a knife or with the special scissors with three blades
- Olives and Capers
- Using a fork dilute the mustard with the lemon juice
- Add olive oil, stirring constantly
- Add Brandy
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pour the sauce over the salad, stir and serve
Healthy recipe, fresh and delicious, rich in color and nutrients. Save Spring salad recipe Piemonte with your easy dinner ideas and salad recipes.
Copyright © Elisa Cerruti - All rights reserved
A savory, unconventional, Piemonte, really easy salad with eggs, tuna, endive salad and leeks.
This salad was prepared for quick lunch while farmers had a break while working in the fields. The eggs were boiled the night before and canned tuna was very easy to maintain and quick to add. In addition, the leeks were put to marinate in the morning just before to get out in the earliest morning. Now this recipe tells to marinate for at least 2 hours and it works perfectly, but believe me, if you double the time the leeks are much more delicate.
An healthy lunch idea
This is a peasant recipe. But do not make my same mistake I did: do not think this is a “difficult” salad due to the leeks, because they have a strong and persistent flavor. Soaking the leeks into the acidulated water makes sweet their flavor. It is a complete healthy lunch idea with a lot of taste. But it could also be used as a starter or as a rich side dish.
A pinch of Italian style
Of course, you could dress it with your preferred dressing sauce and it will fit perfectly but if you would like to bring on your table a piece of Italy – of Northern Italy in fact – use one of the typical Italian Vinaigrette made with extra virgin olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper.
My adjustment for a worldwide home cooking
In the original recipe the cheese used is a kind of robiola cheese typical of Piemonte. It is the Robiola of Cocconato d’Asti, a fresh and compact cheese. It is very different from some other Italian robiola cheese much more like to cream cheese like Philadelphia. To adapt it to an international cuisine you can use a fresh cheese like queso, or similar. You might chose it using three criteria:
- freshness: be sure that the cheese you are choosing is very fresh white cheese
- soft and compact: its consistency should be compact and easy to be cutted into cubes
- milk taste: it should have the taste of fresh milk, not too savory and absolutely not spiced.
And that’s it! Hope you enjoy.
A savory, unconventional, Piemonte, really easy salad with eggs, tuna, endive salad and leeks. A Piemonte healthy lunch idea recipe.
- 5 leeks
- the juice of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 oz tuna
- half endive
- 2 ounces queso cheese (diced)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
For the Vinaigrette
- the juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch of salt
- Wash and peel the leeks by cutting them into 2 or 3 pieces taking the white parts (and putting aside the green ones that can be very useful for making soups and vegetable soups)
- Place in a large bowl to soak in water acidulated with vinegar and lemon juice for about two hours
- While the leeks soak keep going with the preparation!
- Wash and thinly slice the endive
- Chop hard-boiled eggs with a knife
- Chop tuna with a fork
- Dice the queso cheese
- After two hours, remove the leeks from water and slice into thin slices
- In a large bowl place the endive, then the leeks, then tuna, diced cheese, chopped boiled eggs
- Separately prepare a vinaigrette with lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper and mix the ingredients with a fork to form a fluid emulsion
- Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and serve
Copyright © Elisa Cerruti - All rights reserved
Do you like it?
I’m working hard to bring to you unique Piemonte recipes in the easiest way for you to cook and taste.
Think that just recommending this recipe you let me feel your passion and promote original Piemonte cuisine.