The definitive Guide for cooking and eating greatest delicious Northern Italian mixed boiled meat. Bollito Misto Recipes Guide: all the recipes and sauces, simple tips.
This one of the most famous meat stew of Northern Italy. It is a stew of mixed meat with a very ancient history. It was a noble dish, as it was prepared for the court using high qualities meats. Now we use it in Holiday occasions, mainly in the cold seasons. In the very ancient Piemonte tradition Bollito Misto was prepared the thursday before Christmas.
The thousands flavors recipe
It is perfect when you want to serve a meat based main dish but you know your guests have many different tastes. Bollito Misto is a perfect meat dish that satisfy the tastes of all, because people add flavors using sauces. You serve it plain, with all the sauces typical of Piemonte but also with your favorite sauces like mustard, ketchup, mayonnaise, oil, salt, and pepper. Imagine many bowl on your table filled with sauces around the main dish. It is easy and delicious, that’s it. You just need to follow the recipe instructions and never miss our secrets for the greatest ever Bollito Misto.
We serve it typically with at least one of these sauces:
- Green Sauce: is the par excellence sauce to accompany boiled. It’s traditional name is Bagnetto verde, literally “Green little bath”, prepared with parsley, anchovies, eggs and crumb of bread soaked in vinegar.
- Red Sauce: is the second great and very traditional sauce for Bollito Misto. It is called Bagnetto rosso literally, “Red little bath” and it is cooked with tomatoes, vegetables and spices.
- Honeybee sauce: in Piemonte it is called Sausa d’Avije that literally means sauce of honeybee, salsa di api in italian, it is very simple and delicious and it is prepared with mustard powder, honey and walnuts.
- Garlic Sauce: one of the easiest sauces of Piemonte. It’s original name is Agliata. It is prepared with eggs and garlic.
- Sweet Pepper Sauce: Salsa di Peperoni: made with sweet pepper bell, bagnetto rosso and pickled vegetables
- Poor man’s Sauce: Salsa del Povr’om: literally “” it is prepared with sauce that remains from cooking stews or braised, vinegar, bread crumbs and pepper.
- Pink Sauce: in italian its name is Salsa rosa, prepared with tomatoes sause, anchovies, garlic and parsley.
- Horseradish Sauce: Salsa di cren: “Horseradish sauce” prepared with horseradish, crumb of bread soaked in vinegar and pepper.
This list is not complete. I will add periodically new sauces recipes, as soon as they are ready.
In Piemonte we always use to serve Bollito Misto with two other kind of flavouring. Never miss to place on the table:
- integral coarse salt
- extra virgin olive oil
Many people love to season Bollito Misto just with a few grains of integral coarse salt and a drizzle of olive oil. If it is the first time you eat Bollito Misto you really need to try this typical kind of topping.
The never fed up meat recipe
As you could prepare it in many different ways you can cook Bollito Misto many times, never get fed up, but each time improving results and savor. Once you get the main flavor and secrets you can be creative and try different vegetables and meat cuts, composing the tastes as you prefer. This is an easy recipe, with a long life in your cookbook as you can always change some ingredient creating something new. Perfect for children, for who needs to slow down fat and calories in diet.
Here in Piemonte we have mainly two versions of Bollito Misto:
- Bollito Misto Basic Recipe
- Bollito Misto Luxury Recipe
Bollito Misto Basic Recipe Meat Cuts
The meat cuts for the Bollito Misto basic recipe are 3:
- Head of veal: Testina
- Plate/Flank cuts: the Scaramella and Biancostato italian cuts
- Foreshank boneless: Muscolo
Head meat is the meat that remains on the skull after the removal of the skin, cheeks, tongue and lips. It is a very fat cut, and must be boiled alone, using a different pan.
The Scaramella and Biancostato, in the international meat cuts manual, are not specific meat cuts as in Italy are. I have made a long research to understand how to provide the best solution for this bollito misto basic cuts. This is the best way to overcome these differences. I have used, beside the cuts’ names, the Meat Buyer Guide number, so it will be very easy to find these meat cuts in your groceries or to ask theme to your butcher.
With respect to the Scaramella I must note that the different ways to slaughter make different type of meat that you will find from your butcher. The italian Scaramella is made up of 3 body parts: the external oblique muscle of abdomen, internal oblique muscle of the abdomen and the transversus abdominis muscle. These parts are slaughtered and cut in a different way in the United States:
- the transverse muscle is sold alone and constitutes the “Beef Plate, Inside Skirt (IM)” MBG 121D
- the internal oblique muscle of the abdomen and the abdominal external oblique are sold together in the “Beef Loin, Steak Tail” MBG 176
So if you want to cook the original Bollito misto you can try to buy both MBG 121D and MBG 176, tie them together on one another and boil the meat in this way.
Another cuts we use, instead of Scaramella that we really prefer, is the Biancostato, for which the differences recurs. The Biancostato is a part of the anatomy that includes together the rectus abdominis and the external oblique muscle of the abdomen (Obliquus externus adbominis). In the United States is used to separate these two muscles in two different pieces:
- the rectus abdominis is sold as “Beef Flank” or “Flank Steak” MBG 193
- the external oblique muscle of the abdomen instead is part of the “Strip Loin” MBG 182 and of the “Beef Loin, Steak Tail” MBG 176
In many recipes is told to use ONLY the flank steak, but this has a very different result, as the meat in flank steak is very thin, while the Biancostato is a rough cut of third choice, full of gristle and fat. The flavor change consistently using only the flank steak. Also in this case you can try to “recreate” the original cut, buying the flank steak and “Beef Loin, Steak Tail” MBG 176, tying them together.
Is located in the region of the forequarter leg between the carpus and elbow. The anatomical basis of bone is made up of the radius and ulna. It is formed by a large set of muscles and tendons:
- extensor muscle oblique metacarpal
- extensor muscle front of the metacarpal
- extensor muscle of the third finger
- extensor muscle of the anterior phalanges
- extensor muscle of the fourth finger
- muscle cubital external
- latissimus handheld
- cubital internal muscle
- flexor surface of the phalanges
- deep flexor of the phalanges
Bollito Misto Luxury Recipe Meat Cuts
The meat cuts for the typical Bollito Misto luxury recipe, that we call Gran Bollito Misto are 7:
The 3 meat cuts of Bollito Misto Basic recipe plus the following 4:
- Capon or Hen or Rooster or Chicken: during the Christmas time we can find capon, otherwise we use one of the others. You can chose what you prefer, I have listed them in order of traditional use.
- Cotechino: it is very typical and of good luck, it is always included in Bollito Misto and in the New Year’s Eve, when it’s served with lentils.
Simple and great recipe
Bollito Misto is a really simple and easy recipe. To prepare a great and delicious Bollito Misto you just need to read and always use 3 simple secret surefire tips.
Bollito Misto Basic Recipe
It is the basic and easiest one Bollito Misto recipe, in terms of types of meats, quantities and preparation. It is prepared only with three cuts of beef and vegetables. It is very quick and easy recipe. Try it to start your Piemonte recipe experiments, or simply to taste a very good easy dinner ideas with family and friends. This is perfect for children because the flavor is really simple, savory but not spiced.
Bollito Misto Luxury Recipe
This is the most complete version of Bollito Misto. It is prepared for Holiday dinners, when families meets and dine together. It is prepared with seven different meat cuts, is a recipe created for convivial dinners and its minimum dose serve eight people.